Grade 6 Français: Ici on parle français! Sharing ideas builds knowledge. Your child will use a variety of sources to get information, including discussions with classmates. They will plan research projects independently, deciding where to get information and how to use it and will create organized presentations with other students. When writing, your child will create longer, more interesting stories while using grammar, spelling and punctuation correctly. Want to know more about Grade 6 French Language Arts? Refer to the program of studies.
Grade 6 English: Your child will expand their ability to communicate as well as comprehend and question their own thought processes and those of their peers. Through this process, they’ll be encouraged to form their own interpretations and opinions and to present their ideas to others. Through group work, they’ll gain experience working with others and expressing themselves clearly. Your child will learn to write newspaper articles and distinguish between basis and non-basis information. A closer look at poetry and figure of speech will be the last unit of year, where we will listen to and read a wide range of poem styles. For more about Grade 6 English Language Arts, refer to the program of studies.
Grade 6 Math: Math - it's everywhere! Operations with numbers. Your child will convert between improper fractions and mixed numbers, learn about and use integers and understand the meaning of ratio and percent. They will multiply and divide decimal numbers and perform operations with whole numbers using order of operations. Your child will use variables, graphs and tables to show number patterns. Grade 6 students will:
- understand and use place value
- determine factors (e.g., 6 is a factor of 24) and multiples (e.g., 45 is a multiple of 9) to solve problems
- describe how decimals, fractions, ratios and percents are related
- use graphs and tables to show number patterns and solve problems
- write and solve equations that represent problems or patterns
- classify, measure and draw angles and triangles
- generalize the sum of interior angles for triangles and quadrilaterals
- construct and compare triangles
- describe and compare the angles and sides of regular and irregular polygons
- develop and apply formulas for the perimeter of polygons, the area of rectangles and the volume of right rectangular prisms
- plot whole number points on a grid
- perform reflections, rotations and slides in combination on a 2-D shape
- use line graphs to present and interpret information
- collect and analyze data to graph and solve problems
- understand the differences between experimental and theoretical probability
Grade 6 Science: Your child will make observations, develop theories and evaluate their theories based on evidence and investigation. They’ll explore the properties of air and construct and modify devices for flight. Your child will recognize that planning, communication, cooperation and flexibility are important to teamwork. They’ll describe, model and interpret objects in the sky, considering, for example: the movement of the Sun and the Moon. They’ll also examine local tree species to identify their unique characteristics, such as leaf shape and branching patterns and to understand their role in the environment. Want to know more? Refer to the program of studies. There are 5 science units we study throughout the year: 1. Trees & Forests (Sept - Oct) 2. Evidence and investigation (Nov - Dec) 3. Sky science (Jan - Feb) 4. Air and aerodynamic (March - April) 5. Flight (May)
Grade 6 Social Studies: What a perfect time to be in grade 6 with the federal elections just around the corner! Your Grade 6 child may want to get political! Your child will examine the roots of democracy in Ancient Greece and the Iroquois Confederacy to better understand their influences on Canada’s democratic system. Your child will also develop an understanding of how Alberta’s local and Provincial governments are formed, how the rights of Canadian's are protected and how democracy allows people to influence change in their communities. For more about Grade 6 Social Studies, refer to the program of studies.
Create your own unique website with customizable templates.